Substance Use Disorder in Older Adults
Recorded On: March 5, 2021
Create a TPN.health Account to Register for an Event
By creating a profile, you can seamlessly access your events and obtain CE certificates directly on our platform. Your profile is a vital part of verifying and tracking your attendance, and only takes minutes to get started.
Already have a TPN.health profile? Sign in below to finish registration!Learn more about TPN.health
About Kate Lufkin, MSW, DSW, LCSW-BACS
Kate Lufkin, MSW, DSW, LCSW-BACS is a clinical counselor and researcher for the Functional Restoration Program at Ochsner Baptist. She received her masters in Social Work and doctorate in Social Work from Tulane University. She is a member of the National Association of Social Workers, American Red Cross Disaster Mental Health Response Team and the National Health Service Corps. She is also a participant in the U.S. Department of Defense Bone Marrow Donor program. Dr. Lufkin is an Adjunct Professor at the Tulane University School of Social Work and teaches research methods, ethics and statistics in both the Masters and Doctoral programs. Prior to her current position, she worked as a clinical counselor for the US Navy and US Marine Corps.
Now Available On Demand
Problematic drug use (of which opioids make up the largest proportion) had been incorrectly assumed to end as patients age. This presentation will focus on the similarities and differences between treating an older adult population as compared to younger and middle-aged adults and will discuss the impact that chronic pain has on substance use.
About CE Credits
Content Level: Beginner
This program has been approved for 1.0 continuing education clock hours by the Louisiana Counseling Association as authorized by the Louisiana Professional Counselor Licensing Board of Examiners.
This course has been approved by TPN.health, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #198061, TPN.health is responsible for all aspects of the programing. Counselor Skill Group: Counseling Services.
TPN.health, #1766, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. TPN.health maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 03/31/2021 – 03/31/2022. Social workers completing this course receive 1 Clinical continuing education credits.
ASWB ACE credit is not available in NY and NJ.
- To increase understanding of substance use disorder in older adults and how it impacts overall healthcare for an older population.
- Consider the unique issues and psychosocial factors impacting the older adult substance user
- Increase awareness of chronic pain in older adults and provide education on more effective ways of working with older adults who experience chronic pain and are using substances (rx or not) to manage their pain.
How to Register
To register for the workshop, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Click the “Register” button to begin the registration process.
- You MUST have a TPN.health profile to attend this event. You will be directed to sign up or sign in to TPN.health before being able to complete your registration. Once you sign up or sign in you will be directed to the workshop registration page to complete your registration.
- You will be able to access the event by visiting the “My Events” page within your TPN.health profile. Please access the event link at this page at least 15 minutes prior to the event’s start time to be directed to the Zoom registration page.